Wednesday, March 11, 2009

AGCD028 - SPHERULEUS - "The Disguised Familiar"


DOWNLOAD:
http://www.earthmantra.com/release-detail.php?id=76

TRACKLIST:
(1) As The Warmth Fades (ft. Stuart Towell)
(2) A Significant Circle
(3) How White The Cerulean Sky
(4) Blue Moon (ft. Stuart Towell)

MYSPACE:
www.myspace.com/spheruleus

Courtesy of the Earth Mantra record label, I am delighted to announce the release of my first album as Spheruleus.
As I've mentioned before on this blog, I've a lot planned for projects under this name. I plan to really explore Ambient music further, embracing elements of instrumentation and lighter dronescapes with the obvious field recordings. Reserving Audio Gourmet as a name for this blog and a netlabel pseudonym for musique concrete excursions. The Eyes Flutter Beneath guise is not to be forgotten either - I shall use that purely for sleep/dream based work, designed for low volume 'ignorant' listening.

So, after that trademark paragraph of waffling, let me introduce The Disguised Familiar to you.
It is classic drone, ambient guitar fused with personal field recordings. Who plays the guitar? In this case, it is my brother Stuart providing these languid compositions. We've been trying to strike a happy medium between our two differing musical tastes and amalgamate to create something as a unit for a while now, and finally it has paid off. So I'd like to extend my initial thanks to him for his excellent contribution. I'm sure we'll collaborate again in the future on other pieces of music, too.

The album itself is themed around the recent flurry of snow we had in much of the U.K. I, like many, was sent home from work early as businesses accross the nation struggled to cope with what is essentially just frozen water...It just showed how we depend on transport methods so much and how everything collapses without them. Since I only really walk, it had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on me and in fact - I met my friend James Gelsthorpe and used the remainder of the day to 're-explore' this landscape that was hidden with snow. It was a landscape I was normally very familiar with, yet with this vast blanket of white upon us, it was all completely disguised. Which made for a very interesting afternoon indeed...
I'd like to offer another thankyou to James, as he is the man behind the tremendous artwork cover we have for the album. It was taken just outside our local woodland as twilight set in, and that splendid day drew to its close.

So hopefully that will put you in the picture as to roughly what the album stands for. I'd like to offer a final thankyou to Darrell at Earth Mantra, as I've always enjoyed the material on his netlabel and it is an absolute pleasure to have work released on it! It's always nice to work with someone who has a professional approach to releasing what is essentially free music and with such a clear vision of the direction he wants to head, too!
Every single album on this website is completely free for download. Please support the other artists on there too, there's some breathtaking stuff for the ears to behold!

Obviously money is of no interest to us netlabel artists. The main thing is that people take advantage of these free albums and enjoy them. Netlabel artists need that little encouragement from time to time, to feel as if their hard work is worth it. So please drop a comment whenever you download something you enjoy. It's something that even I'm guilty of - the times when I've been bowled over by some superb music, and failed to write a quick sentence of appreciation!

Anyway, it seems I've written a final paragraph as well as the opener!
Harry.

No comments: